Quiet Sunday morning ~

Quiet Sunday morning ~
Maya teaching Maxy to read

a teeshirt Re -fashion passion

a  teeshirt  Re -fashion passion
bubbleskirt dress re-fashion by yours truly

Monday, October 18, 2010

inspiration and other stuff..

I don't know how  other crafters/sewers/bloggers,  get inspiration for their projects.

Yesteryear, my ideas came from movies, Sears' catalogues, a few old standbys like Good Housekeeping and McCalls magazines, and whatever paper patterns  were  available in department stores.

Today,  my inspirations can come from anywhere in the world, literally. The internet has certainly become my latest (and greatest ) source of ideas.. talented people from every country,  exhibit their wares and creations,  and a click of your mouse can transport you into any studio you may want to visit.

Take Etsy for example...a worldwide marketplace that a simple, homebased crafter like myself  could never have imagined , even 5 yrs ago .. exhibiting, and offering for sale, her often flawed and occasionally beautiful handmade items.

When my boys were small, I turned out cozy pyjamas, sturdy and functional pants/ shorts, and interesting  shirts,  although the fabric  choices  available to me then were very limited.    That old (back then  it was considered very high tech) Necchi sewing machine was my ticket into the world of fashion at the time, when Twiggy and Carnaby Street and hippies were in vogue !

I sported Nehru collars and cuffs in bright paisleys,  wide flared maternity pants, canary yellow jump suits and appliques on torn bluejeans...yes I said bluejeans!
I taught myself to sew (at least more creatively) after learning to sew the obligatory apron in home economics classes in high school.

My younger readers here,   are going to say "huh" to this post and regard me as a relic of the stone age, even though I am  more than 2 decades and less than 10 decades old.

And yes, I still love to create and sew,  ( on my much newer machine and even newer serger)  and I no longer sew for my boys, but now turn out beautiful clothes and other goodies for grandbabies,
nieces and grand nieces .   ....  until later Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment

winter is here!

winter is here!
snow angel

pumpkin carving family

pumpkin carving family
before

halloween jack o lanterns

halloween jack o lanterns
each one made by a different family member~ the kittycat is Mayas' and the ghost is Madisons' favourite!

our little cutie

our little cutie

bibbity bobbity boo!

bibbity bobbity boo!
our fairy princess